Rosemount is a small, well-used, community branch library of the Ottawa Public Library (OPL/BPO) system. The library branch is located at 18 Rosemount Ave, just south of Wellington W next to the South West Community Health Centre.
Originally built in 1918 it is the only Carnegie library remaining in Ottawa.
The Rosemount Expansion And Development (READ) group consists of residents and users in the Ottawa Public Library Rosemount library branch catchment area. Richard Van Loon is Chair of our committee. Many members of the growing READ Rosemount group represent not only themselves and their families but twelve community associations in the catchment area.
READ wants to work with the Ottawa Public Library Board and Administration and Friends of the Ottawa Public Library Association to support planning for the expansion and redevelopment of the much used and much loved Rosemount branch.
READ is advocating for:
– The inclusion of Rosemount expansion/redevelopment in the City of Ottawa/OPL 2015-2018 capital budgets.
– Ongoing consultative processes engaging both the community and the local branch staff.
– A beautiful, well-designed, welcoming, efficient and effective operating space that continues and expands Rosemount library branch’s role as a community hub and gathering place.
– More and better meeting spaces; space for working in groups and students, programs, display of materials.
– More space for books and materials, browsing, individual use, quiet contemplation and staff work spaces.
– Continued implementation of the latest information technology.
– Expanded programs and services that build on the branch strengths in serving high-needs and vulnerable groups and individuals as well as its ability to form productive community partnerships.
– More community outreach to high-needs groups in the Rosemount catchment area.
– A facility that maximizes user service and convenience and the efficient use of staff resources.
– Clarification on the expenditure of the $100k planning funds (Board and Council approved in 2014) allocated to Rosemount and release of any recent, related studies, and data.